Have you lost that motivation and just find it plain difficult to get yourself back into the swing of things after your summer break? It can be hard after a long break, whether you traveled, had family in town or just attended lots of BBQ's, to get back to it. The summer can throw a wrench in our schedules and it can be hard to get back to "the routine".
Here are some tips to help you get motivated and get back to the gym. 1. Go out and get some new workout clothes. Having a stylish new outfit can help motivate you to get to the gym.
2. Download some new music and make a couple new playlist that help to pump you up. Find music that makes you move, gives you energy and makes you feel good. You will begin to look forward to getting to the gym to put on your favorite playlists.
3. Bring your workout clothes to work, pack a workout bag the night before and bring it with you. This will help you get in the mindset of getting to the gym right after work. If you go home first don't sit down, get your workout clothes immediately and get to the gym. Don't give yourself time to think about and debate with yourself about going to the gym. This will start to make going to the gym a routine and habit.
4. Schedule your workouts in your calendar, this will get you to plan and hold yourself accountable. You should be scheduling at least 3 days a week for a minimum of 30 minutes.
5. Go to a fitness class, hire a trainer or find a workout buddy to help hold you accountable. You will be less likely to cancel or not go gym if you have a time and day you are "supposed" to be at the gym.
6. Set realistic goals for yourself. For example start with getting to the gym 3 times a week. Then as you reach this goal after a couple of weeks increase your workout times, then increase your intensity of your workouts. As you keep reaching your goals you will become more confident and excited about your workouts.
7. Start with exercises you like to do. If you are a spin person then go to spin class. You will be less likely to quit something you enjoy doing.
8. Learn new exercises and ways to workout. Hire a personal trainer, or do your own research and begin to work on new exercises. Change up your workouts by changing the order of exercises and how you put them together. Always make sure you are doing proper form and have proper posture to avoid injury.
9. Drink plenty of water, get enough sleep and eat right so when you get to your workouts you feel good. If you are not getting these elements in your workouts can feel sluggish and hard to get through. This will help you feel energized, strong and ready to work!
10. Reward yourself for making your workouts with non-calorie rewards. For example give yourself a star next to the workouts you made in your calendar. Set a goal to make 12 workouts in a row and treat yourself to a massage or facial. Do something you will look forward to.
These 10 tips will help you get motivated and back to the gym. Once you get started on your workout program the benefits of exercise will far exceed any lack of motivation you may have. Exercise will increase your energy, boost your immune system, help your mood, and increase your overall health. The human body is meant to move, staying active is not something you try to do or should do, you must workout for your own health and longevity!
Sources: Get Motivated to Exercise After a LONG Day at Work | 5 Tips How to Get Motivated to Go to the Gym