Now that the Holidays are upon us and the amount of traveling increases it becomes challenging to stick to any sort of healthy living habits.
Here are the top 8 traveling tips to help keep you healthy during the Holiday Season:
1. Stay hydrated It is important to drink plenty of water. Airplane air is very drying as well as changing climates can have an effect on your body making it challenging to stay hydrated. Always plan on buying a bottle water at the airport or bring an empty BPA free water bottle to fill up when you get to the airport.
2. Pack Sacks before you leave Always leave room to pack healthy snacks. Easy health snacks would include several pieces of fruit, nuts or trail mix, healthy bars, packs of oatmeal (it is easy to find hot water at the airport), whole grain cracks, veggies and hummus dip. A couple of these healthy treats can help you stay satisfied during your travels.
3. Eat a healthy meal before you leave When you are packing and getting ready for your trip make sure to plan time to eat a healthy meal before you leave.
4. Keep your body nourished Eat nourishing foods the days prior to your trip and when you return from your trip. By eating healthy foods before you leave you will keep your immune system strong and ready for any sort of exposure you may encounter.
5. Sleep well Try to get a good night sleep the night before you leave. This is a hard tip to follow because of all the anticipation of traveling but if you can sleep well you will be able to handle the stress of traveling better as well as keeping your immune system strong.
6. Make healthy choices If you absolutely have to eat food at the airport make healthy choices. It is hard with all the temptations but remember how those yucky foods will make you feel. Most places offer fruit and nuts. Oatmeal is easy to find. If you choose a restaurant pick vegetarian options (this is usually a healthier option).
7. Be ready for a workout Pack workout clothes so you can be ready to stay active on your trip. Take advantage of any walks or hiking you can do. Easy workout equipment to pack are resistance bands, jump ropes and a stretching strap.
8. Plan ahead Before you leave take a look at the places you are going and look at different options for eating. If you are staying with friends or family plan a trip to the market to stock up on healthy foods. Cooking a healthy meal is a great way to spend time with your loved ones.
By implementing some of these healthy tips you will be able to keep your immune system strong, stay alert, have energy and have fun on you trips rather then feeling sluggish and run down. Eat well, be well!